First Team Vs Welling Town

Date 12 October 2019
Team First Team
Opposition Welling Town
Fixture Away
Venue Bayliss Avenue
Start time 15:00
Result L 1 - 5
Time played Normal time
Match Report

12 October 2019

FA Vase 1st round


Welling Town                      5          Tabima 23, O’Neill 45, Marshall-Katung 70, Oblitey 81, Montoya 90

Erith and Belvedere          1          Pope-Campbell 57




Until this game Deres had the consolation that their four defeats in five games had all been by the odd goal and three of those had come in the last eight minutes of matches.  In this one, though, they had their first proper caning of the season at the hands of a fellow SCEFL side.


This was only the third time Deres had faced Welling Town: the previous time at Bayliss Avenue had been an epic in which Deres had led 2-0 and 3-2 before losing and handing the title advantage to Welling.  The previous time at PVR had been an ignominious 5-1 defeat, and so was this.


Deres had the first opening in the 15th minute when a well-placed header by Jerome Wade put Kameiko Pope-Campbell through, only for the striker to miscue horribly wide.  A minute later Adam O’Neill fed Luis Montoya whose clever turn created a chance which he also put wide.


The breakthrough came in the 23rd minute when O’Neill found Jhoan Tabima in plenty of space some 30 yards out.  Tabima slipped while shooting, but this only helped the shot arc over the diving Dan Teeley and just under the bar.


Welling could have doubled their lead on 29 minutes when O’Neill met Gary Beckett’s centre from the right with a rasping shot from 8 yards which Teeley did superbly to save.  The Deres keeper was quick to narrow the angle when O’Neill was through again on 34 minutes, but he didn’t quite get across to O’Neill’s free-kick just before half-time after he himself had been brought down by Pope-Campbell, to make it 2-0 at the interval.


Deres came back out with more fire in their bellies, and on 51 minutes, after a good move involving Chan Quan and Tony Hill, Eric De Melo sent a low shot in from the right that hit the far post.  Six minutes later they pulled one back, De Melo playing a slick one-two with Baba Adeniran before shooting.  Jack Moore parried the shot only for Pope-Campbell to stab home from close range.


Midway through the half Deres sub Thomas Ngegba was through on goal but Moore did well to block.  Deres were in the hunt, but were about to concede three in the last 20 minutes for the second successive game against Welling.  On 72 minutes O’Neill, yet again, played a delicious ball for Elyon Marshall-Katung to run onto, and he rounded Teeley and slotted home for 3-1.  On 80 minutes one sub found another when Jordan Sandiford played in Carl Oblitey, who looked a yard offside as he shot through Teeley’s legs.  And just before time Reece Barrett was at fault when he was robbed while level with the centre circle by Montoya, who ran on and gave Teeley no chance, rounding off the scoring on a miserable day for the Deres.


BOOTS: Moore; Beckett, Wright, Bancroft, Oshilaja, Day, Tabima, Eshilokun (Marshall-Katung 64), Thompson (Oblitey 64), O’Neill (Sandiford 77), Montoya.

DERES: Teeley; Hill, Baines, De Melo, Yembra, Jones, J Wade, Quan, Pope-Campbell (Lusuku 75), Adeniran (Ngegba 56), R Wade (Barrett ht).


Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards