Erith & Belvedere 3 Colliers Wood United 0

Posted by Mickey Cooper on 11 October 2020

10 October 2020

FA Vase 2nd qualifying round


Erith and Belvedere          3          Humber 1, 68, Mpungi 90

Colliers Wood United        0                     



George Humber’s brace helped Erith and Belvedere see off Colliers Wood United in a feisty F.A. Vase 2nd Qualifying Round tie.


Victory takes the Deres into the first round and will give them a massive boost as they return to Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division before the next tie on 31st October.


It’s been a season of frustration in the league for Erith and Belvedere, with three draws and four single-goal defeats leaving them second bottom in the early weeks.  But in the major cups they’ve enjoyed themselves, getting through two rounds in each.


There were 33 seconds on the clock when the hosts went ahead. Henry Dasofunjo played a delightful ball through and Humber finished in style.


The Deres bossed the next 20 to 25 minutes. Humber drew an excellent save out of Lewis Gallifent then Klaudio Krasniqi went on a long run and although Gallifent could only beat it out, the visitors were able to scramble it away.


Humber fired over from a tight angle before he created another shooting chance for Krasniqi but he shot wide. Humber then had a shout for a penalty but the referee wasn’t interested and it came out to Tim Beckford who could only smash it into the side netting.


Having survived that spell, the visitors started to come into the game but although they enjoyed more of the possession, they struggled to break down an obstinate Deres defence. Mario Embalo shot across the face of goal and when Archie Drewett burst down the wing Dasofunjo showed the desire to get back and make a block. Just before the break, Leo Onusu put a shot into the high street as Colliers Wood failed to trouble Rilwan Anibaba in the Erith goal.


Coming into the game, the Woods had the worst disciplinary record in the Combined Counties League and they did nothing to improve their record early in the second half when the referee finally lost patience with their manager Adam Willis, and his abusive behaviour, and sent him to the stand.


Suleimane Djalo had a shot blocked by Rob Curtis before the Woods’ substitute Ali Fofanah twice failed to beat the Deres’ defensive wall with free kicks.


After a concerted period of pressure from the Wood, who dominated territorially without getting in a single proper shot on Anibaba’s goal, the Deres replied in spectacular fashion.  On 68 minutes Adeyemo’s crossfield ball released Hawkins down the left, who sped towards the byeline and drilled in a centre which Humber couldn’t miss.  It was the first time this season, indeed this decade, that Deres had gone two goals up or that a Deres player had scored twice in a match.


Leon Bishton shot well wide for the visitors before Tim Beckford put Humber away but he couldn’t get a clear shot away. Searching for his-hat-trick, Humber drew another good save out of Gallifent soon after.


Fofanah let fly again for the visitors and it was going well wide before it hit Leon Bishton but he was still unable to divert it on target. Then, at the other end, the Deres’ substitute Guyliano Mpungi was thwarted by a brilliant save by Gallifent.


Two minutes remained when the visitors had their first and only shot on target but Anibaba dived full length to hold Nathan Mampono’s shot.  


As the game moved into injury time, the visitors’ lack of discipline again got the better of them and Embalo was dismissed for an off the ball incident. Despite that, there was still time for further action and Bishton’s diving header went just wide for Colliers Wood then Beckford couldn’t quite reach Mpungi’s teasing pass for the Deres.


However, Mpungi still had time to put the icing on the cake with an outstanding finish from Jamie Taylor’s pass moments before the final whistle.


Deres: Anibaba; Adeyemo, Hawkins, Patterson, Curtis, Barrett, Dsofunjo (Mpungi 72), Moore (Taylor 72), Beckford, Krasniqi (Nosike 85), Humber.

Goalscorers: Humber (1), (68). Mpungi (90+)

Yellow cards: Curtis, Taylor

Red cards: None


Colliers Wood United: Gallifent, Willis, Drewett (Fofanah 57), Queensborough, Cisse, Blankson, Campbell (Bishton 69), Djalo, Onusu (Alabi 69), Mampono, Embalo.

Yellow cards: J. Willis.

Red cards: A. Willis (Manager), Embalo.


Referee: Lanray Alapafujah

Assistants: Richard Myers and Steven Perry

Attendance: 146


Thanks to Mark Doig of Kent Sports News for most of this report.

Join our club

Contact us today if you are interested in finding out more about our club either as a player, official, coach or volunteer.

Get in touch

Our latest news

Sponsors Area

© 2018 - 2021 Erith & Belvedere. All rights reserved.

To contact your Data Controller, click here

There's always a welcome for volunteers

If you wish to withdraw consent from us holding your personal data please email requesting your data be removed from the site. However, this will only be possible if you cease your membership.

In addition, if you wish to exercise your right to be forgotten please click here

Powered by ClubBuzz.

Details of Data Controller are

Name: Brian Spurrell